Monday, October 31, 2011

Patience

A couple weeks ago I sat down with Dreysen teaching him how to write his first and last name by himself. At first I was very calm and reassuring, and within a matter of minutes, I found myself getting really frustrated with him. I was saying things like:
  • Dreysen it is so easy!
  • Pay attention!
  • Do it like this!
  • Look right here...RIGHT HERE!
  • Hold the pen like THIS!
Ahhhh! haha I'm pretty sure it was an unpleasant experience for him. I made him do it over and over and over again. It took him at least a week or so to finally get it down. Everyday after school he knows the routine: Go in the room, take his shoes and back pack off and put them away, change clothes then he has to practice writing his name over and over again, which now, he really enjoys. He always draws pictures of himself and his brother and also his favorite, Batman lol
I felt like such a mean mom. I thought back to when my mother would always yell at me if I messed up in sports or what not, and it sucks! You loose the feeling of doing whatever it is that your doing.

Lately, I find myself losing my temper a lot and have a hard to with not raising my voice and using a kind tone. I tend to boil over really silly and unimportant things.

Being a Mother is a sure test of patience. If I can't learn it now, I never will.

I think that when I am really thinking about it, and really making an effort, it is so much easier to stay calm and rational. My kids are so wonderful. They are smart, funny, healthy, kind, tender and sensitive. I love them so much. They are helpful, and capable and I expect a lot out of them.

I've been thinking a lot today about what I can do to not get to the point of losing control and acting like a kid myself. I'm learning each and everyday and my Patience is definitely one I need to work on.

I love you Dreysen and Zeland!

2 comments:

  1. Awwww I have the same problem! Poor kids, I must say I have improved heaps:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny that you don't realize you're doing? I never do and then I feel my husband's eyes on me probably thinking I am so mean. I'm grateful for a patient husband to tell me, it's not that big of a deal. Kids are amazing and your little ones are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete